Ice cream socials are a summertime staple.
There’s few things better than a cold treat on a hot day. But, ice cream socials in 2020 look a bit different, thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic.
All week, Sanford Health is hosting Thank You Drive Through events, handing out ice cream to people who live in smaller communities Sanford serves.
“It’s just an opportunity for us to say ‘thanks,’ and give back,” said Kelly Schroer, pharmacy technician at Sanford Health in Luverne, Minnesota.
‘Luverne is a strong family’
Schroer says that like everywhere, the pandemic has been hard on those working and living in Luverne.
But, hard times make for stronger communities, says Schroer.
“There’s a good sense of community. People have come together and adjusted to the change. Life looks so differently, but people are adapting, and people are ready to move forward. There’s good that has come with the change, too.”
Some of the good that’s came from the pandemic, is more creative ways to help out neighbors, according to Schroer.
“It makes you think about others more, before yourself. Then, it’s just an awareness. How could I help somebody else out? It heightens awareness. So, people are more mindful, and might have to be more clever and creative in how you help somebody,” said Schroer.
“It’s bonded people together because everybody’s working through it together. It may look different for each individual, but we’re all going through the same challenge together. It’s a strengthener,” she added.
Schroer, and other Sanford employees who volunteered to hand out ice cream sandwiches and Sanford temporary tattoos, say that they saw “steady traffic” of community members driving through.
“I’ve been out here about 45 minutes. I bet we’ve got at least 150 ice cream sandwiches gone. I got to say hi to four puppies, too. So, it’s kind of fun,” said Schroer.
Events near you
Thank You Drive Through events are happening at these locations across the Sanford Health region:
- Sanford Luverne Edgerton Clinic, 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Wednesday, July 15
- Sanford Health Clark Clinic, 1-3 p.m. Wednesday, July 15
- Sanford Westbrook, 2-3:30 p.m. Wednesday, July 15
- Sanford Clinic Webster, 2-3:30 p.m. Wednesday, July 15
- Sanford Health Watertown Clinic, 3:30-5:30 p.m. Wednesday, July 15
- Sanford Clinic Beresford, 3:30-5:30 p.m. Wednesday, July 15
- Sanford Worthington Medical Center, 4-6 p.m. Wednesday, July 15
- Sanford Clinic Chamberlain, 4-5:30 p.m. Wednesday, July 15
- Sanford Rock Rapids, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Thursday, July 16
Sanford Health will also host these events in Brookings (1-3 p.m. Thursday, July 16), Ipswich (1-2 p.m. Thursday, July 16), Jackson (2-4 p.m. Thursday, July 16), Estelline, (2-4 p.m. Friday, July 17), and Lake Norden (2-4 p.m. Friday, July 17).
- Microsoft donates thousands of mask mates to Sanford Health
- John Deere donation supports workers on the front lines
- Online sales of DQ Blizzards benefit local families