Breastfeeding is proven to provide the ideal nutrition for newborns. It’s easier for newborns to digest, boosts their immune systems and provides a wonderful time for bonding with mom. It also offers benefits for you –- breastfeeding burns extra calories per day helping you lose baby weight faster, and it may help reduce the risk of breast cancer.
While breastfeeding is nature’s way of providing food and bonding for your baby, most new moms have questions and benefit from breastfeeding instruction and support. Like any new skill, breastfeeding takes patience and time -– but don’t worry, you and your baby already have everything you need to successfully breastfeed.
Sanford Women’s Lactation Services offers breastfeeding classes for new and experienced moms as well as their partners or support people. It’s our goal to provide personal instruction, education, and help answer questions and concerns so that you and your baby have a positive breastfeeding experience — all done in a private setting.
Topics covered include:
• What science has to say about the benefits of breastfeeding
• What your partner/family needs to know to help support breastfeeding
• How to tell if baby is getting enough milk
• The basics: latching on, feeding, timing
• Breast and nipple care
• Breast pumping
In addition to our breastfeeding classes, our lactation consultants are available by appointment to provide personal instruction, answer questions, help with breastfeeding challenges and provide support.
Breastfeeding is a wonderful way to provide nutrition, immunity and bonding for your baby.
Join the program
- Breastfeeding Beginnings (Fargo, North Dakota)
- Breastfeeding Preparation (Sioux Falls, South Dakota)
To speak to a lactation consultant call:
- Sioux Falls: Breastfeeding support line: (605) 328-7120
- Fargo lactation services: (701) 234-5560
- Bemidji, Minnesota, lactation services: (218) 333-5000
Lactation services are available before baby, during your hospital stay and after baby is home.