Some Sanford Health patients help the next generation of medical doctors by them into routine visits with their regular physicians. USD Sanford School of Medicine in Sioux Falls welcomed first-year students in the class of 2023 to the state’s only medical school.
About the class of 2023:
- 70 students
- 34 women, 36 men
- 16 students are married
- 54 South Dakota high school graduates
- 27 South Dakota high schools
- 16 out-of-state high school graduates
- 29 colleges/universities
- 8 colleges/universities in South Dakota
Over the next three years, wearing a white coat with a red USD patch on the arm, they will accompany Sanford Health providers. Students learn the ins and outs of all levels of patient care as part of the organization’s commitment to being a teaching institution.
“USD Sanford School of Medicine is deeply grateful to Sanford Health for the leadership and championship of medical education in the state of South Dakota,” said Mary Nettleman, M.D., dean of the University of South Dakota Sanford School of Medicine. “They have made a lasting impact, training future physicians and inspiring them to strive for excellence.”
- Sanford Health funds scholarships for SD medical students
- Med student: Education lab helps people to ‘understand why’